Sunday, March 26, 2023

Oh Hey, I Still Have This Blog

Dear (Probably) Imaginary Audience,

I once again forgot, and then remembered years later, that I have this blog.

Thank you for waiting patiently for me. I like you best when you are silent and hypothetical, without judgments or expectations for regular posts. I like not knowing whether you are really there.

If I knew for sure you were real, I would be too anxious to post anything; if I knew for sure that you were imaginary, I would be disappointed.

Once, a few years ago, you became a little too real. I have to admit you scared me a bit.


So I ghosted you.

Since then, I've tried writing in a private journal, but that doesn't seem to scratch the same itch. I guess I could try the message-in-a-bottle thing, but I don't live near the ocean.

It's been a while now, and I have no reason to suppose that the people who read and commented on my posts are still lurking around.

That means you are safely imaginary again, dear reader.

It's nice to talk to you again. I think I missed you.

5 comments:

  1. I’m a young woman who has considered in the past (and may in the future) converting to Orthodoxy. The sexism also makes me want to turn away, but I want to believe that it’s a bug and not a feature of the church. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It’s nice to know I’m not the only (potential) convert woman who feels the same way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been Orthodox for 6 years. I am a convert. Believe me I've seen it all. I've seen the ins and outs. You are risking your health by going to Orthodoxy. I have been severely depressed and had to take medication. They will not allow me to serve at the altar as an altar girl. Now I"m too old and it's too late. I've been deprived of that ministry.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for coming back. I am a chrismated Orthodox Christian young woman who left the Orthodox Church due to girls not being allowed to serve in the altar. I was a teen, and since I was not allowed to serve, I was depressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m a young woman who was born into Orthodoxy by two thoughtful, educated converts. I, too, would love to serve in the altar (though even if I could, I don’t think anything could tear me away from the choir). Sexism, though widespread, is indeed a bug in the church, and one that we need to speak against and dismantle together. It is hard, but I know that Orthodoxy is worth saving. Even now, there are efforts being made to restore (yes, restore!) the female Diaconate by the St. Phoebe Center, which I encourage you to investigate and join if you so desire. https://orthodoxdeaconess.org

    ReplyDelete
  4. It’s so wonderful to hear from all you wonderful people. If anyone is willing to be e-pen pals, I would love that.

    ReplyDelete